The number of soccer players on-field changes through the youth stages. In different competitions, there can be more players on the bench.
The rules are different for the different levels for when a substitute can take place.
There are of course the strange events when someone runs onto the field that should not be there. We take a look at all you need to know.
how many players on a soccer team
There are 22 players in total on a soccer field, that’s 11 for each team. Both teams have a goalkeeper and the game cannot take place if a team has less than 7 players.
Soccer is a team game and relies on the players working as a group. If a team has less than 11 players, it takes dedication, unity, and tactics to get something from the game.
There are however a number of situations where there will be fewer or more people on the field at one time.
In this article, we look at the total number of players, officials, and people that are allowed on the field at one time.
Here are the types of people that can be found on a soccer field;
- Extra players
- Squad players
For youth teams, there are fewer players on the field. We’ll take a look at how many players are required for each age group later on.
What’s the minimum number of players on a soccer team?
If during a game, a team is reduced to less than 7 players, due to injury or a player going off, play will continue until there’s a stoppage. For the game to restart both teams need to have a minimum of 7 players each.
Before a soccer match, both teams must be given to the officials. This includes the starting 11 and the substitutes. If the players are not named before the game, they cannot take part.
- The number of players is set out by IFAB, a governing body of FIFA.
Number of soccer players per team for each age group
|Competition||Number of Players|
Number of Soccer Substitutions
This number will be based on the rules set out by FIFA. Teams can name per game 3 – 12 substitutes. Depending on the competition.
The number of substitutes that can be named for a match depends on the association that governs the league.
- Some competitions allow for an additional substitute during extra time
If the match is not between two ‘National A-Teams’. The teams can agree on a number of substitutes before the game as long as the referee is informed.
If no agreement is made, then the maximum number of substitutes is 6.
Number of Soccer Substitutes for each competition
|Major League Soccer||7|
|English Premier League||7|
|UEFA Champions League /EL||7 *12|
|UEFA Europa League||7 *12|
- *In the finals for the European competitions, teams are allowed 12 players on the bench to be inclusive for all the team to get a chance to play. Plus it gives the managers more options.
What happens if there are too many people on a soccer field?
Before a match, the referee will count the number of players on the field to ensure there are not too many. If there are too many players on the soccer field the referee will follow the procedure;
- Stop the game if the player gets involved in the game
- Instruct for the player to be removed when the play stops
- Discipline if needed
When the game is stopped because there are too many players, the ball will be returned to the team that had possession.
- They get a direct free kick or penalty. If the ball was not in possession by one team, a dropped ball will take place.
If one of the squad members, coaching staff, or officials enter the field of play during a match, the referee will stop the game and award a free kick or penalty to the team in possession.
- If a person that’s not involved in the game comes onto the field, the play is stopped and a dropped ball is given.
During an attacking play when an extra player enters the field, the ball might be heading for the goal.
In this case, if the ball is going into the goal, the goal stands even if the extra personal touches the ball.
What happens if a goal is scored and there’s an extra person on the field?
If a goal is scored and the referee does not realize there’s an extra person on the field the goal will be disallowed when;
- The person is a squad player or coaching staff member = direct free-kick from.
- Another person = dropped-ball.
The goal is allowed when there’s an extra player on the field when;
- The additional player of the staff member was part of the team that conceded.
- A fan or someone outside the game did not interfere with the play.
Number of players per squad for each league
Soccer squads are determined before the season starts. There are different time scales for cup competitions.
Most leagues will allow for additional players to be added to the squad from the youth team.
The numbers will need to remain the same but there can be changes.
Each squad will have to be submitted to the relevant authorities before the competition takes place.
The squad sizes allow for replacement players for each position and there are normally 3 goalkeepers per squad.
|Major League Soccer||28|
|English Premier League||25|
|UEFA Champions League /EL||25|
|UEFA Europa League||25|
How to substitute a soccer player?
Along with the squad, the substitutes will be named before the game, so that the referee is aware of who is on the bench before the game.
For a substitution to take place during the game, the referee must be made aware of it and the following rules are to be applied;
- Referee’s permission
- During a stoppage/interval
- The player that comes on is at the halfway line
- Leave the field at the nearest point unless instructed to leave at the halfway line
- The player being substituted must leave the field or play continues
- The substituted player must go to the technical area/dressing area or sanctioned place
If a player is injured, the referee will indicate the best procedure for taking off the player. If the player is already off of the field, then steps 1-3 take place.
For goalkeepers, the same procedure happens above and when an outfield player changes place with the goalkeeper, the referee must be informed.
- If the referee is not informed of the change, then both players are cautioned.
If a player is named as a substitute but starts the game, the player that was starting can go onto the substitute bench and there are no sanctions but the referee will inform the authorities.
Players can be sent off before a game. If this happens then the player cannot take part in the game.
Youth Game Substitutions
For some youth games, substitutions can be made during a match. Later on, during the game, the player can be brought back into the game when another substitution is made.
This can be done a number of times to allow for the youth players to adapt to the game – giving the coaches flexibility.
- It’s a good way to try things out during a game with your team. Some players may need a break from play, or others can be given coaching advice to help your team.
Be careful not to make too many changes as this can disrupt the balance of your team and cause the payers on the field to become in doubt as to where their partner players are.
Know the number of soccer players on the field and team, so you can prepare for the fixtures and injuries that build up throughout the season. For more useful guides, see the articles below or visit our home page.
How many players on a high school soccer team?
There are 1 goalkeeper and 10 outfield players making a total of 11 players for a high school soccer team.